Friday, May 15, 2020

Why staying in your comfort zone is not good for you.


I spent the first 10 years of my career in my comfort zone.  Refusing to start my business all because I was afraid, I didn’t have enough knowledge.  I was also scared that I wouldn’t be able to support my family.

These were present thoughts in my mind and still come up all the time.  The difference now is that I know that God has my back.  He is here for me.  I trust that he has a plan and that I am right where I need to be. 

I was in my comfort zone and afraid to move in out of it.  Therefore, I stuck with mediocre jobs with no real way to progress.  Towards the end of my career in the 8-5 world, I started for a great company.  They really treated me good.  Then a bigger company bought us out and to begin with, they were a good company to work for.  Before long, I realized that I was turning into a number instead of a person.  That was really pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and start pursuing different business opportunities. 

Little did I realize that my comfort zone was what was holding me back? 

As soon as I pushed the limits, I created my own website.  Started writing blogs.  Was inspired to write devotionals.  I pushed the limits on every aspect of my life.

It was extremely troubling at first, but after about 3 months of pushing the limits, it started to feel like the new “norm.”  Now if I have a day where i don’t push the limits I feel like I didn’t accomplish anything. 

Here are a few of the tips that I found to be the best advice to help move me from my comfort zone.

       1)      Do something new today.  Alternatively, something that you haven’t done in a long time.  It might sound crazy but if you do one thing, new everyday then before long you will already be starting the move from your comfort zone.  The new thing that you do can be crazy like calling a mentor from a podcast you listen to and ask them for advice.  It might also be as simple as eating at a place you haven’t eaten at.  Whatever it is do it today, and keep on doing something new every day. 

       2)      Take time to ask God where he needs you.  It might sound even crazier than number 1 but let me tell you it worked for me.  Every morning first thing when I woke up I would ask to help guide me to where I needed to be that day.  That simple request gave me the motivation to do what I needed to.  Almost every day it was something that pushed me out of my comfort zone.  This small step also allowed me to start my day with the good lord first.

      3)      Do something that scares you, NOW.  Don’t wait to take that chance, send that email, or try something new.  One of the hardest things for me was to send out emails to people that I didn’t know.  Don’t ask me why it was so hard to press the send button.  Therefore, I started sending out emails every day.  I started with one then the next day I would do two, and so on and so on.  Soon when I pressed the send button, I was hitting over 250 people.  I concurred my fear and pushed myself outside the comfort zone by taking small steps.
     
       4)      Made massive goals.  Not only did I make massive goals I told others about my goals, when they laughed at me I just smiled, and used that as fuel to make those goals happen.  Every time I was scared or thought this goal is too massive I could hear the laughter and used that to push me out of my comfort zone even further and reach for stars.  You can bet that I achieved most of my goals because I pushed myself out of my comfort zone.
   
      5)      When you feel the urge, don’t hesitate.  For the longest time I would feel the urge to make a phone call or send an email and wouldn’t do it right then.  Then I was listening to a podcast and the speaker said that you couldn’t wait when you get the feeling, just do it.  Do it right then, don’t wait.  Holy cow did this step push me way out of my comfort zone.  I would get the urge to send a message to someone I hadn’t touched base with in years and more often than not, it turned out to be a great thing.
   
      6)      Take time for you.  Taking time to make sure that you focus on what you need is something that everyone should do.  You can take time for you in so many ways.  Some of the ways I did it was by investing in courses that would help give me more information to move the needle.  I also used wasted time driving and turned that into podcast time.  Every time I’m behind the wheel, you can bet that I have a podcast on.  Shoot me even turn podcasts on when I’m washing dishes and working around the house.  My whole family listens to them with me.  When I was flying a couple of times a week, I used to take that time to catch up on Netflix.  Then I started listening to podcasts or reading a book, or a mixture of both depending on the duration of the flight.  As soon as I started doing that, it amazed me how quickly I started moving out of my comfort zone. 

I know that there is a TON of information here.  I also know that what worked for me won’t work for everyone else.  My hope is that as you read this if you get one thing that you can take and run with.  If only one thing helps you to step out of your comfort zone just a little then it was completely worth your time to read this, and my time to write it. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  If you find any value in it all, please share our blog with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment