Friday, September 13, 2019

Everything In life happens for us not to us.


For the longest time I have believed beyond a doubt that everything in life happens for a reason.  We don’t always understand the reason why it happens right away, heck we may never understand why something happened. None the less it happened for a reason.  Sometimes the reason is because we needed to learn from the mistake. It might be because we weren’t ready for that particular promotion or job.  Or maybe it was because God used us to help someone else learn the lesson due to our faith being so strong.

As I look back on my life, I see many times where God guided my life without me ever knowing it.  I’d like to start with the choice of not enlisting in the military right out of high school.  I was on track to enlist into the Army the day I graduated, go to basic training straight from there go into warrant officers' school.  Then graduate and start flying helicopters for the military.  I would have enlisted at the beginning of the war on terrorism, don’t get me wrong I would have loved to serve my country, but during that period more helicopters were shot down than almost any other time period in American history.  God was looking out for me.  Let's not forget that the whole reason I didn’t enlist was because I met my now wife.  I most likely wouldn’t have the kids that I have now or the life I currently have.

Let's take a look at when I didn’t get a job working full time for the paid fire department.  At the time I was devastated, how could I mess that up? I mean I was already working part time, I worked on most of the shifts and most of the squads really liked me. Now I know that if I would have stayed there, I would have never moved to where I live now, I would have never got my CDL, and I would never be starting my own business.  Most likely I wouldn’t be as close to God as I am now either. 
How about when I was let go from a job for working too many hours.  I was young and couldn’t understand that one.  God used that experience as well as the next 3 years working for a different job to humble me and bring me closer to him. He taught me how to truly forgive.  He encouraged me to lean on him; he gave me a horrible boss so that I could learn how not to act and how not to treat others.  He gave me the passion to find a need a fill that need, no matter how difficult it was.  It was during that period that I discovered the need for CDL testing in our area.  I worked diligently for 1.5 years to get through the process and become one of the youngest testers in the State of Colorado at the time.

How about here recently when I was faced with yet another horrid boss.  The company leadership was awesome but my direct supervisor was audacious.  God was teaching me to let go, forgive, learn how not to treat others, and how to stay humble.  That instance really pushed us to start Eclipse and take those steps of faith. 

You see as I look back on my life, I could be full of regret.  Regret that I missed a chance to serve my country, regret that I messed up so many job interviews, regret that we were dirt floor poor for a while, regret that I had some atrocious bosses.  Or I can look at those instances where things didn’t go the way I expected them to and say, “Thank you God for helping me!” I don’t live my life in regret because I know that there is a supreme being that has my back.  He will never give me more than I can handle.  If we believe that things happen for us there is no regret.  Because it was supposed to happen that way and it is shaping us to become the best version of us that we can be.

I believe now more than ever that everything in life happens for us and not to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment