Friday, March 26, 2021

My Grange Mentor

Each of us has benefitted from having at least one mentor in our lifetime. 

Mentors come from all walks of life and offer advice, guidance, experience, and wisdom among other things. 

These people are often our friends, family, colleagues, or other individuals that have compassion and interest in helping us develop into being better humans.

I first met Dan Greer back in 2015 when I visited Durango, Colorado during my time as National Grange Youth Ambassador. 

Within 30 minutes of Dan picking me up at the airport,
we had developed a bond that quickly turned into a lifelong friendship. 

Since that time, Dan has become one of my most valued mentors, as I have learned from him the importance of things like family, faith, confidence, intuition, and the importance of laughter and humor in everything I do. 

I am motivated and inspired by his success in his own life, whether it be starting his own company or raising a wonderful family. 

Dan would tell you the credit for his accomplishments belongs to God. 

He would also tell you that he has had his own share of mentors within his life, I am sure his father Harry (or Old Man Greer as some Grange Youth Adults affectionately call him) being one of them. 

Dan has continued to provide me with advice as well as support in times of need. Had it not been for the Grange or my time as youth ambassador I do not think I would’ve had the privilege to meet and build a friendship with my lifelong mentor and friend. 

Dan continues to encourage and advise me in our ever-changing world and for that, I am deeply thankful.

Despite living nearly 2,000 miles apart, Dan and I still find time to get together at least twice a year, once at a Grange event and when I become an adopted member of the Greer family, usually for a family vacation (sorry again for that time I threw up in your car). 

The other 50 weeks of the year, I often find myself talking or texting Dan and getting advice on all aspects of my life. 

I continue to cherish our friendship, his mentorship, and look forward to whatever comes next for both of us on our Grange journey. 

By Derek Snyder 

No comments:

Post a Comment